Kids Natural Hair Care: Washing Regimen

My daughter was born with a head full of hair and then cradle cap took it all out. After some good nurturing her hair has grown and now our challenges are much different. Natural hair care shouldn’t be hard or painful.

Nori @ 2 months pre-cradle cap. No baby was harmed in the taking of this picture.

At 1 years old Nori only had length in the top of her head. I would give her two braids or two little ponytails. This is what cradle cap left us with.

At age 2.5 Nori has grown all of her hair back and more but now has a few different textures going on. The top is very thick, soft and curly, the back is kinkier and less soft and the sides are very fine. She can thank her Dad for the top texture and Mi for the back. Teamwork right. lol

This is Nori’s hair before her wash. I took her braids out a few days ago then she wore puffs for a few days. I wash hair once a week, usually on Sunday.

I’ve been mostly natural for 10+ years and I know what works for me. My hair is thick and kinky, very 4b/c type of hair so our hair needs are different.

I’m not the product junky type and I’m not reading book after book after book only to feel as overwhelmed and confused as I was when I started my journey in 2005.

Nori has eczema so I know that is a factor I must consider. Here is what I’ve settled out on.

I use Shea Moisture products on my hair so I decided to give them a try on her hair. My formula thus far is Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Shine Shampoo and ORS Olive Oil Replenishing Conditioner.

Post wash I comb her hair out again, let it air dry then rub Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style milk to moisturize/detangle her hair and B&B hair grease for her scalp, I was using Coconut oil but it wasn’t doing the trick. The Curl & Style milk makes it so soft and easy to comb and did I mention how amazing all of these products smell. Nori says they smell like fruit.
To make it easy on the both of us I put Nori on the counter to wash her hair. I put a towel down so it’s comfy and her head is in the sink.
We chit chat during her hair wash and she plays with the comb every chance she gets.
With conditioner still in her hair I comb it out again, it’s nice and soft at this stage. Her shrinkage is serious which is why I let it air dry before styling. It also gives her a chance to run around and fight with her brother. She is 2 and doesn’t like to just sit so its helpful to give her a break between our regimen.
I braid her up, I try to go for styles that will last 4 days. Nori’s hair is fine around the edges and they frizz up quickly. Individual box braids last longer than her cornrow styles. She sleeps in a wig cap at night to help preserve her styles. {This was a trial and error process} This picture is the next morning after she took off her cap.

Navigating our natural hair takes trial, error and time. If you are in the DMV {DC, Maryland, Virginia} area or willing to come to the DMV The Naturalista Hair Show is taking place on August 2nd & 3rd.  They will have seminars, workshops, hands-on classes and vendors. This two day event is a great source of information for the big or little natural in your life. Buy your tickets HERE! The event is being held at the Double Tree on Colesville Road in Silver Spring, MD. #iAmN I WILL BE THERE TOO!

As the concluding event of The Naturalista Hair Show’s weekend of festivities, “The Mysterious Afro Love Affair Hair/Fashion Show” #MALA2014 will take place from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
I would love to hear your natural hair care experience. Share it here in the comments below or on FB.
  Macy's Black History Month Event
Linking up with #TendrilTuesday at OKDani.com

Comments

1. says

I LOVE SHEA MOISTURE products! I have blonde hair and let me tell you, its some amazing stuff!! You kids are precious. I love the caption -No baby was harmed taking this photo…that was cute!!

2. says

thank you so much for this information I have relaxed hair and my hair has been trained so well I dont do much but wrap and go. My daughter’s story is just like your daughter and her hair is super thick and with three textures. Thank you for the information on washing and care.

3. says

Yes ma’am! I have my 3 year old on that counter on a towel for the process as well. She likes it that way and looks forward to wash days. I let her play with the iPad while I wash and get no arguments!

4. says

Oh Wow!! Look at that cute little baby in those pictures. She is adorable…and looks a lot like you!

My sister always has so many questions about what products to use for my 5 m.o. niece (who also had a touch of cradle cap) so I’m definitely going to share this post with her. I remember the lay-on-the-counter wash days…and kinda miss them! Lol. It sounds like I share a similar hair type with your daughter and it’s so difficult to find products that really work for my hair. I’ve tried the Shea Moisture products and they dry my hair out so much!! Unlike you, I am a product junkie! I’m sure I’m bound to find something that works sooner or later!!

Oh and Mi’s are definitely the best!! I need to check out this hair show you’ve shared!! I’ve never been to one but I should change that this year! #TendrilTuesday

• says

The days of laying on the counter were some of the best. I felt like I was getting good royal treatment. lol That means you have a little store in your bathroom. They have events where you can swap out your products with other naturals that a looking to unload what they have with the hopes of trying something else.

INHMD is coming up in May I think it is. That is a good time. They have vendors and speakers and everything.

5. says

Omgawww, your daughter is gorgeous! I remember those long Saturday nights before Sunday service when my mama would do my hair. They are some of my fondest memories. I plan to create special hair memories with Jolyn Jr. when she arrives. Thanks for sharing!

• says

Thanks Jolyn. Girl getting that Sunday hair ready on Saturday night was a chore. That sponge roller bang was even worse. lol Like you said they are some on my fondest memories and I totally feel like my Mom as I create these memories with my daughter.

6. says

I’m super glad I stumbled across this. My daughter, Jannah, had her hair taken out by cradle cap as well. She got tons of hair on the top and sides but the back…not so much. She’s 8 months old now. Will castor oil assist with growth?

• says

Hi Brooke I’m glad you found us too. I’ve not tried Castor oil on our hair so I can’t speak from experience. However I know folks that use it and they’ve had growth. I say give it a try if you want and see how it goes after a month or two. Good luck!

7. Janis says

I have a 19month old with thick African hair and lots of it. It is soooo beautiful but dries so quickly and looks dull just a few days after our “hair day.” Can you suggest a night cap, scarf or night routine for a toddler who sleeps as rough as they get lol. Thanks.