I spent some time with the dope ladies of The Blog Code, last year I participated in the first Blog Code and it took place on Periscope. Now, they’ve taken it offline and brought it to DC in the form of a brunch. The event took place at Cuba Libre near the City Center, in downtown Washington, DC. The weather was so dope; I had my sunnies on and the sunroof open while I made my way.
The Blog Code Brunch
I love details; on the table was a personal bottle of water and note card with social handles and hashtag details.
It was a packed house.
Poached Eggs: Poached in an onion, pepper and tomato Creole broth. Shaved Manchego cheese. Pressed Cuban Bread
Pork Fried Rice con Huevo
Napa Cabbage, Kimchi, Spanish Chistorras Sausage
Berkshire Pork Belly Fried Rice
Cornmeal Pancakes and Crispy Bacon. Dark Rum Molasses syrup and Mango Butter
French Toast a la Cubana
Vanilla Custard soaked Brioche Bread. Maple Syrup
Panela soaked Sweet Plantains. Whipped Cream
Co-Founder, Kierra and Co-Founder, Raro Lae, have joined forces to bring The Blog Code to an area near you.
Guest Speakers: Tressa Azarel Smallwood, Book & Biz Consultant/Teacher & Book Publisher @CEOAzarel
She was amazing, she spoke about branding and that is something that is near and dear to my heart. If it is one thing I can do is brand myself.
5 BRANDING COMMANDMENT
- Thou shall connect with your target market personally at all times.
- You need to be personable at all times, people want to connect with you, be open to doing that.
- Wave, make eye contact, chat, introduce yourself and exchange business cards.
- Always be authentic to your brand.
- Whoever you decide to be, stick with it.
- Don’t change up because the next person has changed and they seem to be the popular person.
- Stick with your brand at all times.
- Same name on all social media profiles. Branding is being consistent.
- Use a picture that is current so people can recognize you.
- How do you present yourself to people? Are you pleasant?
- Thou shall become an expert in your industry.
- Connect with the people that will get you to the next level.
- Know who the people are in the room.
- Be intentional about your interaction.
- You can learn something from every person you come in contact with.
- Thou shalt always find a way to be creative and unique with your brand.
- Your brand has to grow at all times; you need to take it to the next level.
- If you want them to continue following you, you have to keep them engaged.
- Do something different, have a contest, etc.
- Thou shall never give up on building the brand or revising the brand.
- Sometimes you start out with one thing and realize you need to do something else.
- Get people that really know what they are doing to help you.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help.
- Focus groups are the best.
- Honest feedback makes you better.
Joshua Baker, Dash Radio/Hot New Hip Hop (@Buzybaker)
Chardelle Moore, Fox45 (@ChardelleMoore)
Chey Parker, EGL Editor in Chief (@iamcheyparker)
Ronke Raji, Beauty & Lifestyle Influencer/YouTube Sensationalist (@ronkeraji)
Victoria Waller, Travel Vlogger/CEO of Venture With V (@stacie_victoria)
This woman here spoke to me, I love her energy. She and I will meet again for sure.