We are fresh off of a winter snow storm fail here in the DC area and so I officially quit winter. Before I wash my hands of it 100% I had to share my trip to the New York Public Library. It was a freezing cold day and multiple layers were very necessary. I am a huge Sex and the City (SATC) lover and so this tickled my fancy a bit more than the average person. For those in the cheap seats who have never seen the movie Carrie Bradshaw (Sarah Jessica Parker) and Big (Chris Noth) had an elaborate wedding planned at the New York Public Library. (Spoiler Alert) In the movie you see her discover the location and then jilted on her wedding day.
I entered the library just for adventure sake; I didn’t do any research I just walked in. I was greeted by security which I’d never seen at a library but whateve this is New York. I had to have my bag checked and everything. Now I live in DC and I know our security is a bit different than most but this one took the cake for me. Leave your weapons at home honey, they will find them.
The New York Public Library is the second largest public library in the United States and the fourth largest in the world. DC wins the prize with Library of Congress being the largest in the states. The structure is massive and so I totally understand why so many people usher in and out of the library at such a high volume. The library is no stranger to the camera as it has been featured in several movies such as:
- Breakfast at Tiffany’s (1961)
- Beneath the Planet of the Apes (1970)
- In The Wiz (1978), Dorothy and Toto happen on it; one of the stone lions comes to life and joins them on their journey out of Oz.
- It is featured prominently in Ghostbusters (1984), when three of the main characters encounter the ghost of librarian Eleanor Twitty. Her origins and the library’s prominence are explored in the video game sequel, Ghostbusters: The Video Game.
- The Time Machine (2002)
- It is the setting for apocalyptic science fiction film The Day After Tomorrow (2004).
- NYPL is featured in the film version of Sex and the City (2008) as the location of Carrie and Mr. Big’s wedding.
- NYPL is featured in Oblivion (2013), starring Tom Cruise, shown as a rubble remnant of post-Apocalypse war.
I totally squealed a bit; with so much going on in the library the step area is hardly quiet. People were kind and allowed me to snap picture after picture.
Because The Style Medic is my spirit animal she totally understood and shared my excitement.
The steps I’m sitting on are the steps shown on the left of this picture. This is as far as Carrie went for the wedding.
Since I was here I wanted to explore and see what else they had to offer. I didn’t do a full tour because this place is huge. It is quite impressive though; I would so plan a wedding here.
We stumbled upon this 2017 Resolutions exhibit wall situation. Once upon a time they had sticky notes for you to use to write down your own. They were out and that isn’t something I carry on me so I couldn’t add my own to the wall.
Despite not being able to add my own there were some that spoke to me. I was in total and complete agreement. I too am choosing to keep pursuing my goals & happiness.
There were tons of them. I love things like this; we were caught up in reading them. Some were sad, some were funny, some were bold and some were straight up vulgar. I was amused and inspired at the same time. I will go back and check out some of the other areas I didn’t get to see.
One of my trips to NY I’m going to plan out a full on Sex and the City Tour because I love stuff like that. They also filmed at Cafeteria and I’ve been there plenty of times.