It has been rainy here in the DC area, but despite the sucky weather, we came out for some inspiration, motivation, empowering and connecting at the DC stop of the 2017 Rise Women Empowerment Tour. This was another solo adventure for me, as I covered the event as media.
This is the third annual event and it returned to DC. I attended the first year but didn’t make it last year. The first year was such a dope event filled with incredible speakers that I knew this year would be even better. Bonus: My boo, Simona was a speaker.
The Speaker topics were dope:
- How to be a Leader vs. A Boss
- How to build a Six Figure Brand from Scratch
- Entrepreneurship 101
- The Entertainment Perspective: A beginners guide to entertainment publicity
- Branding Masterclass – Creating a brand story, content and Visuals to generate success.
Rochelle is the owner of Alikay Naturals hair products and Black Onyx World LLC. You can find her hair products in your local Target, Sally Beauty and tons of other stories. She isn’t even 30 yet and has been killing this entrepreneur life with her husband. She has never had any investors and has never taken out any loans. She started out in her apartment and slowly grew to the commercial space she currently has as well as owning a hair salon in Florida.
Entrepreneurship 101: Was the perfect topic for her and she gave us 50 things we need to know. Here are a few of her tidbits.
- Choose your business name, your brand does not equal a business.
- Write a business plan, it should include your company story, how to get there and where you want to go. Resource: www.sba.gov
- Determine your viability, know your numbers, where to invest, cost, profits, etc.
- Determine your legal structure, S Corp, Sole proprietor or non-profit.
- Create protection documents such as non-compete forms and nondisclosure. Don’t allow someone to steal your ideas.
Angela is the owner of The Natural Hair Industry Convention, N Natural Hair Studio, The Naturalista Hair Show and Co-Founder of Rise Empowerment.
How to be a Leader vs. a Boss:
- You have to love what you do.
- You want people to love working with you.
- Being a leader doesn’t mean over powering your team.
- Develop a talent retention strategy early on to keep the best in your company, not going elsewhere.
- Establish systems and routines. Start from the time you wake up. ie. breakfast, stretch, exercise, 30 mins. for email, etc.
- Budget your time: pay attention to how you’re spending your time.
Keynote Speaker: Necole Kane founder of XoNecole.com and former owner of Necole Bitchie. Necole’s journey has been a page turner start to finish with extreme peaks and extreme lows. She shared her experience, positivity and how to learn from her mistakes, reinventing herself and more.
- If you can’t get an opportunity, create one.
- Believe in your dreams and business even if nobody else supports you.
- Be transparent, share your story.
- When you start a business have and an end goal and figure out your exit strategy.
- Realize that everyone can’t go with you on your journey.
- You are never broke or broken as long as you invest in yourself.
- Work with what you have, but make a list of what you need. Work that list until you get where you want to go.
Cici Gunn’s journey is so inspiring this woman is as tough. She started her business while in her chemo therapy chair battling stage 4 cancer and fighting for her life at age 27. She started by juicing because you couldn’t keep anything down. Then she started teaching people to juice and turned that into a six figure brand. Now she teaches people how to create a six figure brand. Her cancer has returned and she is currently back in chemo therapy. She is self-taught and built her brand on Instagram.
How to build a Six Figure Brand from Scratch:
- Every dime isn’t worth it, don’t let people jerk you around.
- Understand who your brand is meant for.
- Always be a student and learn when to pivot.
- Instagram is free advertising, use your page daily.
- Don’t be a jack of all trades and a master of none.
- Have a story behind your brand.
Simona Noce is a skilled and dedicated public relations & events planning professional with a passion for media, entertainment, and the execution of creative ideas. She works film campaigns on behalf of Screen Gems, Universal, STX Entertainment, Sony Picture Classics, Faith & Family, and MOXY.
The Entertainment Perspective: A beginners guide to entertainment publicity
- Can you explain your product in one sentence?
- Is your product, complete and consistent?
- Do you have a clear target audience?
- Can you afford a publicist? Do you have a budget?
- Research the perfect PR person for you and your brand.
- Request a portfolio from your perspective PR person and ask for links to their hits.
- Request a proposal.
Nicole Melton, founder of Melton Digital develops content and social media strategy for beauty brands, and editor-in-chief of Beauty Goes Digital. She is a freelance beauty contributor for ESSENCE.com, and BeautyStat.com. Melton Digital manages influencers and social media campaigns for brands including Creme of Nature, Earth’s Nectar, Sally Beauty and more.
Branding Masterclass – Creating a brand story, content and Visuals to generate success.
- Start with where you are and what you have.
- Your success starts with your brand.
- True branding is an inside job.
- What is your brand story? Who are you? Establish yourself as an authority.
- Which experiences have made me an authority in my field?
- It is okay to grow slow.
The Rise ceremony is my absolute favorite part of the day. We write down our goals on a piece of paper and then attach them to a balloon and send them off into the universe. I snapped a picture of mine so I can make sure my actions are working toward my goals. I RISE!
Forever Chic @foreverchicbooth provided a dope photo booth experience for us with dope props.