I recently told you guys about HealthPlan USA and how I needed to keep my son healthy during this football season football season. Well, I have an update for you. He got injured, full disclosure I can’t fully blame football but the five-day practice schedule did not help.
“I am in partnership with HealthPlan USA and they have provided me with compensation for this campaign. All thoughts and opinions expressed are my own.”
Let me say this, my son is 13 years + 10 months + 2 days old. He has never broken anything and has only been to the ER once in his life. That was because I was a new mom he had a fever and I didn’t know ish yet. With that said I am thankful that his child has managed to keep all his parts and pieces in their respective space this long. He had been complaining about his knees for a couple of days. I asked if he wanted to see a doctor and he said no. He was icing it and wearing a knee brace, a few days later he decided he needed to see a doctor.
His description: When he bends his knee he feels something stabbing him on the inside.
I was able to get him an appointment with the orthopedic the same day. We went in for a visit and they gave him these hilarious shorts. They leaned on him and bent his knees in odd positions before taking an x-ray.
Diagnosis: Osgood-Schlatter Disease [Translation: inflammation of the growth plate below the knee.]
Their description: A slight fracture of the knee, the growth plate in inflamed and popping out when he walks. Growth spurt + physical activity = stress to the growth plate
Treatment: Special knee guard type of thingy. No physical fitness for two weeks, and strengthening quad and hamstring stretching.
Good News: While this is painful it is very common and will heal. He might be left with a bump on his knee but that is it.
Shout out to the HealthPlan USA for the prescription discount. After paying a specialist copay, getting the knee strap thingy I was tired of giving someone my money.
HealthPlan USA members save 10% to 85%
- These savings are on most prescriptions at 60,000 pharmacies nationwide, including CVS, Walgreens, Target
- Compare prescription prices and find participating locations at MyRxPrice.com.
- Present your card to save an average of 46% on your prescriptions.
- There’s no worrying that a prescription isn’t covered by insurance (an all too real nightmare that costs consumers thousands of $$$ out of pocket on life-saving drugs)*
- The HealthPlan USA Discount Drug Card includes prescriptions for you and your immediate family too.